- nouna small roadside establishment in the southeastern United States where you can eat and drink and dance to music provided by a jukebox• Hypernyms: ↑joint
* * *nounEtymology: Gullah juke, joog disorderly, wicked (in juke house brothel), of West African origin; akin to Wolof dzug to lead a disorderly life, Bambara dzugu wicked: an establishment having a jukebox; especially : a small inexpensive establishment for eating, drinking, or dancing to the music of a jukebox
* * *an establishment where one can eat, drink, and, usually, dance to music provided by a jukebox.
* * *juke joint,U.S. Slang.1. a tavern, roadhouse, or cheap cafe where music is furnished by a jukebox.2. a roadhouse where liquor is sold.
* * *n. a bar featuring music on a jukebox and typically having an area for dancing
she would slip out of the house with tall country boys... going out to good-time, finger popping juke joints
* * *noun, pl ⋯ joints [count]US informal : a cheap bar or club that has a jukebox
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Juke joint — (or jook joint) is the vernacular term for an informal establishment featuring music, dancing, gambling, and drinking, primarily operated by African American people in the southeastern United States. The term juke is believed to derive from the… … Wikipedia
Juke Joint — Juke Joint. Ein Juke Joint, bisweilen auch Jook Joint geschrieben, Kurzform Juke, war im ländlichen Südosten der USA eine einfache Kneipe für Afro Amerikaner, in der Alkohol, Tanzmusik und Speisen, zum Teil auch Glücksspiel und Prostitution… … Deutsch Wikipedia
juke joint — juke′ joint n. an establishment where one can eat, drink, and usu. dance to music provided by a jukebox • Etymology: 1935–40, amer.; juke brothel, roadhouse, Gullah jug disorderly … From formal English to slang
juke-joint — jukeˈ joint noun A place for dancing and drinking • • • Main Entry: ↑juke … Useful english dictionary
juke joint — ☆ juke joint n. Slang a small, inexpensive tavern or roadhouse with a JUKEBOX (sense 1) playing music for dancing … English World dictionary
Juke joint — Un Juke Joint de la época. Una … Wikipedia Español
juke joint — an establishment where one can eat, drink, and, usually, dance to music provided by a jukebox. Also, jook joint. Also called jook. [1935 40; see JUKE HOUSE] * * * … Universalium
juke joint — noun Date: 1937 a small inexpensive establishment for eating, drinking, or dancing to the music of a jukebox or a live band … New Collegiate Dictionary
juke joint — noun an informal drinking establishment featuring blues music and dancing; primarily operated by African American people in the southeastern United States … Wiktionary
juke joint — Synonyms and related words: amusement park, ballroom, cabaret, cafe chantant, cafe dansant, casino, dance floor, dance hall, dancing pavilion, entertainment industry, fun fair, night spot, nightclub, nitery, resort, roadhouse, show biz, show… … Moby Thesaurus